Date and time
29 November 2021, 10:30-12:00 CET (online)
The Emissions Trading System (EU ETS) is a cornerstone of the EU’s climate action. The revision of the EU ETS l in the ‘Fit for 55’ climate package is expected to play a central role in achieving carbon neutrality by 2050. Reaching this objective requires strengthening the Directive to further accelerate emissions reductions.
This first ‘ETS Talk’ explores how the EU ETS can continue supporting deep emission reductions in the power sector and further contribute to the clean energy transition. It will also discuss how the ETS revenues can be used to decarbonise the EU economy.
Key questions on the agenda
- To what extent has the EU ETS been relevant to the transformation of the EU power sector?
- How have the ETS revenues been used so far and how can they effectively promote the clean energy transition?
- What is the impact of the EU ETS in EU member states’ energy policies?
- What is the power sector perspective on the EU ETS Directive’s revision? How could it send a stronger carbon pricing signal?
- 10:30 – 10:40 – Francisco Ferreira, ZERO
- 10:40 – 11:00 – The impact of the revision of ETS on power sector, Maria Pedroso Ferreira, EDP
- 11:00 -11:20 – The ETS and energy policy in Greece, Nikos Mantzaris, The Green Tank
Q&A and Debate
- 11:20 – 11:45 with reactions from Wind Europe – Viktoriya Kerelska (TBC) & E3G – Domien Vangenechten
- 11:45 – 12:00 Sam Van den Plas, CMW
This event is by invitation. If you would like to attend, please send an e-mail request to Elisa Martellucci at firstname.lastname@example.org